The End of an Era
Monday, December 21, 2015
Posted by: Dominick Mondi
F & F Nurseries will be closing on December 31st after 133 years.
The F & F Nurseries was founded by William Flemer Sr. and Theodore Foulk in Roselle, NJ on 25 acres in 1882. At the turn of the century, Mr. Flemer purchased 150 acres and moved the nursery to Springfield, NJ. He operated and expanded until 1925, when his two sons Carl and William Jr., purchased the entire operation, which at the time included Princeton Nurseries. In 1930 Carl operated and managed the Springfield nurseries as F & F Nurseries, and William Jr. operated and manged the Princeton Nurseries as a separate entity.
In 1954 Albert Flemer Sr., son of Carl, purchased the Holmdel property and in 1957 had moved the entire operation to Holmdel.
In 1984 the nursery continued to operate in two locations, Holmdel and Marlboro under the leadership of John H. Flemer, President and Albert B. Flemer Jr., Vice President, sons of Albert Flemer Sr., representing the fourth generation.
In 2004 the Holmdel property was sold to Holmdel Township and preserved as farmland and Green Acres.
The present operation is on the farm in Marlboro. The farm has been preserved through farmland preservation, and is being sold as a farm to one of our NJNLA members.
F & F Nurseries has introduced three evergreen selections into the trade.
Taxus cuspidata F & F compacta - A good dark spreader that forms a compact plant with little trimming.
Ilex glabra densa - This 1994 Gold Medal Plant Award winner possesses several traits that make it well suited to urban and problem sites. It tolerates heat, drought, sun or shade and requires little maintenance. In addition, it can be propagated by cuttings and transplants easily.
Ilex crenata nigra - A very hearty Ilex for the area. Grows in upright habit and when fed well will maintain lush dark green foliage.
The F & F staff, Cathy, JoAnne, Greg, Pablo, and John Flemer would like to thank all of our customers, past present for their loyalty and friendship.